Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Rocks

The following comes from a June 2000 edition of the Archer County News. I once had a byline in my small hometown paper and they let me write worthless stuff every week. I don't even know exactly where I was emotionally when I wrote this, but I feel that it should be revisited...my grammar has not improved over the years so don't judge me there.


I’m not sick, hurt, dead or dismembered, nor have I been asked to quit, fired, or just quit on my own. Many people have asked why I haven’t been writing any lately so I thought I’d clear that up. I have just been busy here lately and had to put a few things on the back burner.

So anyway, I have a really good excuse for last week. You see it was my birthday, and I spent Monday and Tuesday celebrating. For any of you who can’t believe you missed it, send money. I can now look back on a full 22 years and wonder, “what the hell?”

I’ve never been the type to do a lot of planning. I pretty much just go with the moment, but like every other person in this world, I had some kind of dreams and aspirations as a little kid. If I think of the ideas from way back, I should have already been an astronaut by now. But, even though my life is about as far from the plans I made as a senior in High School as they can be, I’m happy with it. Why? Well, I finally think I know what I want to do, or be involved with, etc.

That’s not what I’m going to write about, though. I’m going to write about rocks. I remember this one time when I was about in eighth grade, me and Carlton Ledyard and Bryan Baxter got on our bikes and rode out to one of the flat top mountains to the west of town for no other purpose but to scratch our names onto its sand stone side. I haven’t been back since then, but I know what happens to sand stone over a period of years. I’m sure that the names are still there, but they probably don’t look exactly the same. That’s how sand stone is.

Some people are a lot more into planning than I am, and they have their lives planned down to the dying. They have plans set in stone you might say, but like those names of three friends, their plans have to set in sand stone. Life is full of twists and turns, and each of these is like a pounding rain on their sand stone plans. Tears from life’s letdowns and heartaches and adversities, an even those of joy flow over the plan and change it ever so slightly. Scientifically speaking, with every action there is a reaction. As with every with every move you make in life there is an outcome, some favorable, others not. And with everything that happens, the plan changes ever so slightly. The only thing you can really say is definitely set is that you are going to die. Even then, everything you’ve done to that point is going to affect an even bigger plan.

I’m not saying that you can’t have a plan, because even though I’m not all that good at it, it’s better to know what you want than to just ramble on. The thing is; you have to realize that sometimes the plan has to change, because when making it, you couldn’t see ahead. It doesn’t have to change completely, just ever so slightly, because we can’t stop the weathering effect of life.

Rocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home