Thursday, March 23, 2006

Oh Crap!

My disclaimer here is that sometimes I just need to rant. Sometimes I can't quit until someone hears me, and often its too late; I've gone too far.

Its a scary thing saying what you believe sometimes. I've just released a CD, I should be trying to make friends with everyone I can. I believe when you say something you should stand behind it, right or wrong. I shouldn't go against any grain, I should roll with the flow and be everyones buddy.

That's not me.

Next let me tell you that I don't condone drunk driving. So when this is all over, don't take stabs at me for this. I don't think its good to drive when impaired for any reason. You ever tried to drive when you're real sick and the sun shines in just a bit and you can barely open your eyes? That's driving impaired.

So here it is.

We've all seen this picture of the beautiful young girl who was hit by a drunk driver and now lives life deformed. This is a horrible thing, I pray for that girl. We've all seen the stats on how many deaths each year are attributed to drunk driving accidents, and once again this is not good. But let me ask this...where are the stats for how many people are killed by stone sober drivers? Do you think its less or more? How many people are killed each year by drivers who are sleep deprived? This is probably more of a danger than drunk driving. How many people are killed each year by drivers on their cell phone, or putting on make up, or tying their shoes? Why aren't there commercials for this? How many people are killed each year by drivers under 18 or over 80? Why don't these stats ever show up on TV and Radio commercials? Why don't you hear the story about the highschool kid who was driving to see his girlfriend one morning and ended up dead and putting the guy he hit in a wheel chair? I didn't make that story up.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't warn of the dangers of drunk driving, I'm asking why you don't see the warning of careless driving in other forms. I for one would rather hitch a ride with some dude that just pounded a six pack after work, like he does everyday, than catch a ride with a 16 year old kid. For every person I know who was hurt or injured or killed in a drunk driving incident, (I was injured in a drunk driving incident) I know of a person who was killed in a accident that did not involve drugs or alcohol.

I had more wrecks (and I had a few) in my young driving days when I was sober than I did when I was drunk. Some would say that this is because I drove more sober than I did while drinking...well for those of you who ever drove much distance with me back in the AC days, you'll know that isn't exactly the case.

And there's M.A.D.D., and they are crusading all over the country, maybe the world for all I know, and speaking of the evils of drunk driving. Good for them, but why target drunks? Well obviously its because they lost someone or had someone close to them injured by someone drinking or while inebriated themselves. But why be so selfish...stay on your war path, but let's fight the whole lot. Don't be Mothers Against Drunk Drivers, be Mothers Against Debilitated Drivers. How about Mothers Against Developing Drivers? Mothers Against Dressing Drivers? Mothers Against Dialing Drivers? Mothers Against Decrepit Drivers?

You get the pictures?

Let's get all the dangers off the road. Let's go and tally up the stats. Let's see where the dangers really lie. Let's take anyone under 18 and anyone over 80 off the road. I guarantee that this would make the roads safer. Let's pass a law where you have to be completely clothed or bare-assed naked, and stay that way, to drive. Let's take cell phones out of the car (I wouldn't like that one). Let's pass laws for all drivers that are similar to the new laws for Truck Drivers. Each driver has to keep a log of how many hours they have spent on the road, and how much sleep they've had. The days of cheap amphetamines and truck stop coffee are over, for all of us.

Let us not continue to point out part of the problem, let's not pick on those people who are doing something we don't agree with because you can easily get the backing of a snooty society. If one Mad Mother rear ends someone while she's putting on her make up as she's late to work, then she is not better than Barney, more over she's worse. You want to save lives, then save all lives at all costs.

Check your stats folks, and then let's get this thing going.


By the way, this thing that is going around MySpace...the petition...at the bottom has this
"If you receive this petition and do nothing but delete it, your selfishness knows no bounds. Signing is such a small effort to make."


I did my part by sharing these views, but I have not signed your petition...I face my selfishness, you face your hipocrisy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home