Tuesday, September 12, 2006

It makes sense

I really don't know where this came from...I didn't write it. I got it via e-mail today, but there was no true source.

I'm kind of a fence rider on this whole immigration thing...but like I said...it makes sense.



Let's say I break into your house


Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country
protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of
illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might
protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country
and, once here, to stay indefinitely. Let me see if I correctly understand
the thinking behind these protests.

Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover
me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the
beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've
done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest
(except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must
add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide
other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work
because he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part).

If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends
who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do,
and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm hard-working and honest, um,
except for well, you know.

And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing
only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do
about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being an
anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language
so you can communicate with me.

so there you have it...what'd you think?

Tags:

6 Comments:

Blogger TerraPraeta said...

The metaphor would be more apt if it started:

"Let's say I'm invited into your house. Let's say that when you get home and find me in your house, having made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; then you ask me to leave instead of paying me the moeny your offered to get me here..."

Illegal Immigration is a serious issue. But if you want to make a dent, you have to start with the offered incentives for illegals to cross the border in the ifrst place. And then recognize hat every one of us 'legal' americans gets some advantage from thier cheap labor.

tp

4:04 PM  
Blogger Michael Wren said...

that's a good point...thanks for the comment

4:24 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I think the poem is right on. I have very strong views on illegal immigration. Quite franky, it shouldn't be allowed, they should be deported, and I don't appreciate them coming in and taking all the jobs from people like the painters, carpenters, and laborers. That being said, in the harshest way possible, let me state that illegal immigrants themselves, the people, are not the problem, I just don't like the fact that they don't go about it the right way. When we want to live in another country we get our Visa, we fill out forms, we sign lengthy documents, we get a job, ect... why can't they do they same?

I guess this is a very sore subject because I live in Raleigh, NC where there are seriously more illegal immigrants then there are Americans. I am sick and tired of trying to read a sign in Spanish, I don't know Spanish! I shouldn't be forced to learn it because everyone around here speaks it, because they immigrated to this country and because Raleigh is cheap to live here, this is where they chose to come.

Ugh, I could go on and on, but I won't bore you to death with my ranting ;)

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with terrapraeta; illegals do all this with the help of Americans; people who don't want to pay a fair wage to American workers. They wouldn't cross the border if they knew they couldn't get jobs here.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't blame the illegal aliens for coming here; they live in squallor in Mexico. I do blame them for their sense of entitlement to medical coverage/education, etc.

I blame our gov't and big business for them coming here. We need to be real & realize this is government condoned behavior & it benefits BIG BUSINESS. The laws are in place already, but they aren't enforced. Gee, I wonder why?

They know how to fix the problem, but it won't make THEIR pocketbooks happy. So WE live with the problem.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's pretty much how I see it, too. For some reason, I feel bad that I don't feel compassion, and I don't know why that is. Shouldn't I feel compassion? What is wrong with me?

But I feel exactly the way the story goes. I get so mad when I think of my tax dollars going to people who don't even pay taxes and get a free ride. And then I feel guilty about feeling that way.

But WHY can't they stay in their own country and just make what they already have better than it is today? That's what *I* don't understand. Stop leaving for something better and make what you have what you want it to be instead.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home