Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Here Kitty Kitty...

Here Kitty Kitty...
A few months back a friend of mine came down to San Marcos and we were out at Lake Dunlap in New Braunfels having a few beers and drownding a couple of minnows at a friends house. There really hasn't been much winter here in Texas, so it was at a point where it felt really great outside and I had been leaving the back door open to let the cool, fresh air in. So we get back to my house that night and my buddy looks into my room and asks me, "Hey, when did you get a
cat?"

I didn't have a cat.

"I don't have a cat!" but there it was...rolled up in a little ball in the middle of my bed.
The funny thing here was that I had been joking to my roommate that I was going to get a cat. So, since this cat was in the house I decided not to kick it out and tell him that we got one. The joke went on for a couple days and then it was time to get rid of the cat.

"Out of the house you cat!" as I tossed her out the back door, but she just kept hanging around and kept hanging around. She was so skinny and I started feeling sorry for her, so one night I fed her some tuna at the very back of the yard. This was not going to be an inside cat. I gave her some water outside, and eventually started feeding her in the little store room outside.

Occasionally I would let her in the house...she's super affectionate and really a pretty good kitty, as far as good kitties go, and she somehow even ended up sleeping in my bed on cold nights.

This had to stop! I didn't want this cat sleeping in my bed or my house, but evidently I'm one of those "nice drunks" who would let her in on the nights I decided to have a few.

Once she got named I should have known it was over...her name is Poon Tang most of the time...sometimes she gets called Ms. Kitty...and now she gets called...I'll get right back to that.

So anyway, Poon Tang starts to gain a little weight. She looks like more than a thin little sack of kitty bones. So much weight that I decided Ms. Kitty has been "catting around". She never really got super huge like I've seen cats get, so I couldn't ever tell if my assumption was entirely correct.

The other day, after being out of town on a business trip, I notice the cat has lost a lot of weight. I also notice that she is meowing a lot more (something she never did before) and the big kicker was that she sometimes had a problem being indoors. She never had that problem. I put two and two together and went snooping for the litter.

Well I found them....out in a box in the little storage shed lay two little Poon Tangs...they look just like her and the sneaky neighborhood cat that makes his way around my little part of town.

Crap!

I decided that the kittens had a pretty good set up out in the shed. There were protected, they had a good box, they were high enough off the ground not to be prey to something that couldn't climb, and Ms. Kitty was pretty good about sticking around them.

"If they make it, they make it.", I tell myself and I go back in the house. I wasn't trying to be cruel, but I just can't have all these cats in my house.

Then one day at lunch I came home and left the back door open for a while. I notice something out of the corner of my eye..."SMUGGLER!"...yep, Ms. Kitty was smuggling in one of her little ones. I chased her into a corner...looked pretty funny me chasing the cat that is carrying a kitten in her mouth. She put the kitten down and then went into a defensive ball around it...Son-of-a...well, I don't know what came over me...but I started to worry about that other kitten outside. I went out there to check on it...thought maybe it was dead and that's why she abandoned it. I took a look, and it was fine. So I figured that I might as well bring it in too...didn't want to leave it out there. I turned around and Poon Tang stood there, she must've known I was after the other one. She kind of got defensive, so I put the little kitten down and let her bring it into the house too. I guess I just wanted to make her feel like she was the protector.

The cats now sleep in a corner of my room on an old bed sheet. They've just started to open their eyes, but are not very mobile. Momma Kitty (which is her newest name) stays with them most of the time, but she will leave to roam every now and again.

As for me, I'm just a sucker sometimes...but I swear...when they get big enough to leave Momma Kitty...they're gone. So if any of you would like to make a nice home for some very cute little kittens (and Poon Tang too!) then let me know. They're free to a good home!

I need a hobby or something! Oh yeah, I've got one...www.texaswettnex.com...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you really think the kittens will be gone when they're old enough? It looks to me like you have a big soft spot and those furballs can change your mind easily lol

Going to blogroll you so I can keep up with how it's going with Momma Kitty. Nice story, I enjoyed reading :)

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home