Saturday, May 06, 2006

in my opinion...

I've been asked several times lately about my opinion on certain "hot" topics in the world today. See I'm at a point in my life where many of you are, or a lot of you have already been. I'm on the ass end of 27, and although I'm still holding on to my rock-star dreams, I am beginning to pay a little more attention on the world outside mine.

I guess you would call this an exciting time in life...but I'm not sure that's exactly how I want to put it. It's definitely a time full of change and growth. This is the time (or maybe I'm a little behind) where you start to question. You start to question your beliefs and the beliefs of others. It's a time where you start to want to be more involved or at least more understanding of the things that drive your world.

So I'm going through this now...especially with politics and the moral issues that are constantly being ground down by the news media. So I guess this is why some people who are going through the same as me want to know my thoughts.

Personally I don't know why anyone would want to know, considering its 5:30 in the morning and I just finished my first beer of the day. Ha ha, its not exactly like that...you see I'm cooking a brisket for a little get together today and there is a law in Texas where its highly illegal to cook any kind of food in a bbq pit without having alcohol in your system. I don't know exactly where it is in the papers, but it's close to the top. Its also almost impossible to get a good fire going in the smoke box without holding an open container. I don't know why it is; it's just the way. To further lessen the value of my opinion, you should know that for the last hour I've been standing out in my back yard in shorts (no shirt) and a pair of boots trying to get my fire right. Its been raining cats and dogs for the last few hours...turns out that lightning can light up the whole world and likes to do so when you're standing in your back yard in shorts and a pair of boots while there are cars driving by.

Back to my opinion.

In my mind it's really hard to form a good opinion. I don't mean good as in right or wrong, but more just one that is based on all the correct information. When you're talking about political issues, it's hard just to go find facts and then form an opinion on them. The "facts" that you are getting through newspapers, or TV, or web pages, are really nothing more than the opinions of the entity and the person that is shares it with you. I try to take all that into consideration when forming any kind of opinion on almost anything.

Disclaimer: these opinions may change at any moment...whether it be up swing, or down swing, or just a change in wind direction. That's the great thing about opinions, is that they are not set in stone.

First the Moussaoui sentencing. I think that the right thing was done by not giving him the death penalty. Now don't get me wrong, the man deserves to die. They should have just brought him down here to Texas for the hearing. I'd have had it all over in a few minutes...I'd have tied him to a good strong horse and pulled his ass through a cactus patch, and that's what I'd do while I was deciding on a good sentence for him. To steal a line from an old Pace Picante commercial, "Partner, get a rope!" But that is what you do out of anger and loathing.

The thing about being confined is that you have nothing but time to think. Thinking is one of the most beautiful and one of the most agonizing things that a human does. Now this man is going to have years to be distressed by his own mind. He's going to question himself, his beliefs, his motives, and most importantly his demise. He's going to have time to sit and think...and when you're at the bottom, sitting and thinking can be very very painful.

This is of course not counting that we might just say he's in a prison in Colorado somewhere, and we take him to a desert in Arizona and beat the shit out of him and leave him for the buzzards.

I also have an opinion on this guys mother...she's mad at France for not taking up for her son. She's playing the race card, and saying that it is his color and beliefs that he was sentenced on and not his actions. Well the man stood up in court and mocked the dying voices of people who were innocently killed...she should visit Arizona as well. I'm all for punishing people according to the crime they commit...I say strap him to the front of an airplane and crash it into something...No, I say let this guy drive himself crazy. The jury did right...killing this man would never punish him for the crimes that he has committed, or the ones that he wanted to commit...make this man live...make him live where he is nothing, has nothing, and will never have nothing...nothing but his thoughts that will forsake him.

I'm going to stop there...I need to go check my fire...and its too early to give you my take on immigration...my heart and mind disagree so I need to work that out. Plus it's early and I might drink one more beer and then take a little cat nap.

Good Morning!

p.s. when cooking brisket and writing blogs at the same time, you should be very careful not to cut up Jalepenos and then touch your lips and eyes while proofreading...BEER ME!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home