Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Two Dollars for a Taco???

I've been sitting on this one for a while. I should have wrote it when it was fresh, but like the breakfast tacos I eat every morning...this one is a couple days old.

I don't really eat tacos every morning, but occasionally I need something to soak up the excess. So the other morning I'm walking out to the Taco Truck with two raggedy old one dollar bills. I walk up to the truck to buy something from a woman who speaks almost as little English as I speak Spanish. Luckily everything is there in plain view so I can motion to what I want. I point to two toppings and hand her my two bucks... she in turn hands me a plate with a taco and two shiny new quarters and I think, "What a deal!"

disclaimer: Although you can't tell by my dismal account balance, I do understand "paper" money and the value that is placed on the dollar. Just bear with me on this...

"What a deal!!!" I say to myself as I walk happily back into the office with my meal and my two shiny quarters. All I gave that woman was two grimy, nasty looking pieces of green paper and I got a delicious breakfast taco and two shiny new quarters. This is one hell of a trade. I can eat this taco, and I can show the shiny quarters off to all my friends. "Look, I got a Nebraska...have any of you seen the Nebraska yet?" I leave this transaction with a belly full of tortilla, beans and something that resembles brisket (have any of you seen my dog Lucky?) and the two shiny quarters, and these women drive off with two worn out pieces of paper. They can't eat that paper. If they were stranded in the mountains, those pieces of paper would provide no sustenance what so ever. Hell, they wouldn't even burn for much more than a minute. What good is paper? If it comes down to that, I've got more fuel source in the paper plate and napkins that came with the taco then they have with their dollar bills.

Oh, the all mighty dollar. The thing that makes the world go round. People strive for riches. People beg, they steal, they borrow, they kill, they lie...all for the dollar. Some people go about making money the right way. They work hours and hours of overtime. They choose to spend their hours on earth in the office rather than at home. They choose to spend long nights, weekends, after hours, early mornings...all for the dollar. All for something that can't really keep you warm...not in the most extreme condition. All for something that you can't eat, you can't drink, you can't breathe...oh, you can love it...but it will never love you back.

and I say to my buck-fifty taco, "What a deal!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Travel Italy said...

so true.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home