Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Bandit Runs Again!

So I headed out for the San Antonio Airport around 4:00 a.m. on Friday...my flight was at 6:25 and I should get there around 5...this should all be good. I know if I were going to the Austin airport it would all work out fine...I knew this.

I've told this story so many times this weekend I'm forcing myself to cut it short...I'll just tell you that I missed my flight due to problems with the security check point. I tried to get on the next flight, but there were no promises to be made as the flight was overbooked...It also seems the last one was overbooked as well, even though there were several other passengers other than myself who did not make it aboard.

The Dilemma:

Johnny B's wedding is in Santa Fe at 3:30 (ish), which I've just found out, and I'm sitting in the San Antonio airport at 7:30 (ish) trying to figure out how I'm going to get there. I call United (my original airline) and they cannot help me much. I think I may save this for a whole other topic, but let me say that United Airlines and the San Antonio Airport rate a little bit lower than dog shit on my list. So I get on the cell phone and start trying to figure out how I'm going to get the Land of Enchantment, and I'm needing a little Indian blessing to get me there. ABIA, Austin, TX, has got nothing...the flight gets to Albuquerque at 4:30 which is about the time that John, his beautiful new wife, and their wedding party are getting set to parade through the plaza...this won't work.

John makes a crazy suggestion and I make the call...Continental Airlines can get me there at 12:45 (mnt time) and it leaves at 11:45 (cst) from Houston...this sounds all good, but its almost 8:00 (we're still CST, cause I'm still in Texas) If you check www.mapquest.com you'll see that it's an estimated 3 hours and 21 minutes from the San Antonio airport to the Houston Intercontinental airport. Its a little over 215 miles and this estimation does not include the fact that I'm leaving San Antonio as the morning rush hour is at its peak, and will be entering Houston as the Lunch rush begins.

East Bound and Down, Loaded up and Truckin'
We're Going to Do What They Say Can't Be Done

I call John and tell him I think I can make it...I mean I need to be somewhere that takes a little over three hours to get to, and I need to be there in a little over two (parking, check in, security) so I tell him and the boys to think Jerry Reed! This is John Phillips, this isn't one of the best friends I've ever had...this is one of the best friends I will ever have and by God I will be there.

We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there

So its about 8:05 or so when I hit the road. It takes me a bit to get to I-10 from the airport, but I feel I can make up some time on the big road. I do a little math in my head and think that if I average 80 miles an hour, then I will be there in time to make the flight.

Keep your foot hard on the pedal....son, never mind them brakes.....
Let it all hang out 'cause we've got a run to make

So I stake the pedal and hit the road...I've slept about and hour and a half since the night before and I'm ready to rock. I'd love to have a wild police chase story, but there's not much. I'm actually going to leave out the details of how fast and what kind of moves I had to make to get to Houston on time, because I fear incriminating myself. Let's just say that I don't normally drive this way.

So, you gotta' dodge him, you gotta' duck him
you gotta' keep that diesel truckin'
just put that hammer down and give it hell

As I said before, I left SA at 8 or so and was headed to Houston to hop a flight that was set to leave at 11:45. I entered Bush Intercontinental at around 10:55...my tires were squealing as I slid into a top floor parking spot...a Continental Kiosk met me at the C terminal's front door (oh man, I left out part of the story. I was checking flight status by phone, but they never could confirm the terminal...my heart told me C, although it could have very well have been B, which is the one I flew back into today) I had a ticket in hand and my carry on luggage at the security check point at 11:05 and at 11:15 I was sitting on Continental flight 127, a 737 out of gate C-40, waiting to taxi out and head to New Mexico.

I promise to fill you all in a little better on the United/Continental story. I just don't want to waste the rage I feel in a blog, and then have vented before I can tear in to the United people tomorrow.

I hit the ground running. John's brother-in-law, Stephen, plays the part of Hero by driving the 60 miles (give or take...you check map quest...I don't want to... www.mapquest.com ) to load me up and take me back to a throw on a tux and shave off some facial hair. You see I hadn't bothered to shave before I left..because I was supposed to arrive in Albuquerque at 9:27 that morning...but at 9:27 I was tearing up the black-top going East so that I might make it out West for a wedding.

We make it and I'm at the church on time. (talk about anti-climactic!)

The story might end here...it's late (again)...I can't sleep (again)...and there's more...but I just have to get to work on my e-mail to whoever can fire the President of United Airlines. That's whom I want to talk to.

I can say quickly that the wedding was beautiful. It was one of the best services I have ever been any kind of part of. John's wife is absolutely beautiful. I had a conversation on Saturday with a member of the wedding party as we walked to our hotel. We talked about how beauty is much more than the physical attraction. Personality and spirit may not weigh as heavy at first encounter, but soon take a larger place in the overall attractiveness of anyone. With that being said...John's wife, Cairy, is absolutely beautiful. As for John...well...just kidding.

Beautiful is the word of the day I guess...the Wedding was beautiful, the church was beautiful... www.lorettochapel.com the bridesmaids were beautiful...wait a minute...did I write that...and the town of Santa Fe is...well...you know...

As for me? Well, you could round my travels out to about 2000 miles, I've slept about 16 hours since Wednesday morning, and although it wouldn't be my first choice in route...I'd do it all again!

Congratulations to John and Cairy Phillips. May their love live as long as the sun, and die the day after eternity.

Oh, and my shamelessness seems to have lost all boundaries. The last minute ticket and the gas money to Houston have really left me a little light in the pocket book. That's why you all should go to www.lonestarmusic.com or www.texaswettnex.com or www.myspace.com/thetexaswettnex and buy a cd. I also have shirts and koozies, which I'll sell you direct. Hit me up at michael@texaswettnex.com or better yet come to the Tavern in the Gruene on Thursday night ( http://www.taverninthegruene.com ) or Riley's Tavern (www.rileystavern.com) on Monday to catch a show and buy some stuff. Even if you don't buy anything, come out and enjoy the music!

No one can ever take music away from me! It's always in my head. My bank account can run dry, my home destroyed, my legs chopped off (that would suck!) but as long as I breathe, there is music in my head! Come hear the music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home